Driven by high-mindedness, the great entrepreneurs Roberto Simonsen Filho, José Burlamaqui de Andrade and Othon Barcellos Correa had founded the National Factory of Wagons (Fabrica Nacional de Vagões -FNV) on Oct 22rd in 1943 in Rio de Janeiro that was once transferred to Cruzeiro back in 1945.
Following the trends in the Brazilian economic scenario, FNV had diversified its product line in 1954 and started a partnership with the highway segment.
In 1956, FNV had been called to join a massive plan: manufacture trucks and national automobiles. In the second half of 1958, FNV began the manufacturing of side beams, following the production of wheels for cars and trucks.
One of the most important achievements of FNV was the installation and the beginning of operations of Steel Foundry in 1970 (Fundição de Aço). At that time, FNV used to have two presses of 3000 tons each. These presses were considered the biggest ones in Latin America. This way, one of the biggest presses in the world was acquired in 1972. The Clearing Press was imported from the USA, with total capacity of 5.200 tons and it was primarily intended to the manufacturing of side beams for heavy trucks. Nowadays, The Clearing Press is the biggest one in the South Hemisphere.
The 80′s reassured the excellence of the quality of all FNV products. As the company had several diversified production lines, The National Factory of Wagons (Fábrica Nacional de Vagões -FNV) was now also known as- Vehicles and Equipments, but the name FNV – National Factory of Wagons was kept for being an internationally known brand.
In 1990, Iochpe-Maxion took over all its business Groups and was awarded an ISO 9000 in the automobile wheels line.
In 1994, the company acquired a line of medium sized presses to stamp trays and pick-ups side beams and an E-coat system for chassis and side beams had been installed.
Upcoming that year of 1994, the next big step was the manufacturing of assembled sets (stringers and trays) for the line of vehicles S10 and also Blazer, in addition to the Chassis assembling lines of F1000F4000 and Mercedes Ben’s trucks.
In 1998, due to the growth of its activities, Iochpe-Maxion decided to divide the company into two distinct units: one in the Railway segment and Foundry – Maxion – Foundry and Railway Equipments, and the other one in the Auto Parts and Highway Implements segment, a.k.a Maxion Structural Components. The goal of this division was to increase the focus on the actions of each and every segment. Then a new era started highlighted by the autonomy of decisions and the pursuit of new markets.
In 2000 Maxion began and implanted the Environmental Management System (S.G.A), aiming to obtain the ISO 14001. In order to immerse in a new niche of the market, in 2002 Maxion Structural Components started to manufacture stamped parts in small sizes with metal sheet thickness of 1mm and weighing around 300 g.
The company offers job opportunities to all genders, in 2003 women started working in the textile area and also in the light pressing. In 2014, a new TOP Coat-finishing line has been launched.
In 2005, the company was recognized by all its efforts in the environmental and social aspects and was awarded the Best Company in the area of Social Responsibility and Environment. This award was given by Isto é Dinheiro magazine.
In addition to the award, Maxion Automotive System – Chassis and Wheel Division was certified by the BVQI (Bureau Veritas Quality International) in OHSAS 18001.
The year of 2006 registered a new period in the company’s history: the building of a new warehouse for the assembling line and the manufacturing of side beams roll formed to supply clients that have a low level of production.
In 2010, having all the expertise in Structural components production for commercial vehicles, Maxion began a new project in Resende-RJ, located in the Automotive Supplier Park of MAN. In 2011, 50% of the Argentinian company Montich was acquired by Iochpe Maxion. Furthermore, the Project in the Automotive Supplier Park of Mercedes Benz in Juiz de Fora-MG had started.
In 2012, Inmagusa acquisition was concluded. Inmagusa is a Mexican manufacturer of steel stringers for commercial vehicles.
Along with the development of all businesses and the market segments, Iochpe Maxion divided the company into two different units: Maxion Structural Components and Maxion Wheels.
In 2013, Maxion celebrated 70 years of activities in the city of Cruzeiro-SP. Maxion now has 31 plants in 15 countries.